Saturday, March 3, 2012

I recently get a one year old mini pin. He's adorable in every way but his breeder didn't bother to crop his ears and tail. Is it too late for this procedure now? I'm afraid that it would hurt him more now that he's older.Is it too late to crop my mini pin ears and tail?First of all, where do people come up with these comments i.e. "bleeding out". That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It just doesn't happen and if it does, it's far and few between and generally the fault of the owner for not taking proper care of the ears afterward. Vets require that you return with the dog every week to check ears.

Next, tail docking is done by the breeder between 3-5 days of age. Anything AFTER that age must be done by a vet since it is then considered an amputation and is much more costly. There is minimal pain since the vet provides pain meds and if the vet doesn't then shame on him/her.

Older dogs should be cropped using laser as it closes the wound as it cuts. It, too, is more expensive but well worth the money especially if you have a good vet that knows what he/she is doing as far as the cut conforming to the head.

I'd suggest contacting a breeder and talking to them. It should be your decision and your choice but only after you have gotten facts surrounding the procedures. Although many people dislike cropping and docking and insist that it is such a painful procedure, I wonder how many men remember the pain they suffered when they were circumsized without their permission. And btw, it is a scientific fact that circumcision provides no health benefits.

I've seen many questions such as this one and immediately people jump on the "don't do it wagon", "it's painful", "it's too late" and numerous other arguements. It's not your decision to make, people, and you should be|||Yup way too late.
Tail are DOCKED at 2 or 3 days of age.
Ears are preferred to be cropped under 4 months because the older the dog gets the more mature the blood vessels in the ears become and then you increase the risk of a complication during the surgery such as the dog bleeding out - dogs have a lot of blood pressure in their ears.

ADD: And for the record, I don't find cropping or docking cruel. My Doberman's tail is docked and I happen to like it that way - otherwise he would have a hound-like tail which would probably have damaged a lot of things in my house or I run the risk of him breaking his own tail. What do you think is more painful? Docking at 2 days of age with the dog SLEEPING through the procedure in some cases, or having the tail amputated when they are older because of a bad break?

My dog's ears are natural. I just personally did not want to crop his ears - if he had come that way, I wouldn't have cared.

It's also not just done for "cosmetic reasons" - in some dogs it is actually their breed standard, especially for some working dogs like the Doberman.

ADD: Julie - Yup I have fat fingers and I don't look when I type so sometimes I make mistakes lol. 4 and 6 are on the same row of the little number cluster you have on the right side of your keyboard...anyways don't need to explain that, I had seen my mistake the moment I came back to the question.

As for the ear bleeding thing - that is a "risk" that some people are worried about (a Dobe breeder told me the same thing) and generally people go to vets that are less than qualified to do croppings just because of a price difference - so in my opinion, the risk is greater for something to go wrong.

Anyways, all in all - I really don't care that I'm getting TDs lol.Is it too late to crop my mini pin ears and tail?Yes it is far to late. Tails are docked at 2-3 days old, ears need to be cropped at 12 weeks at the latest. At this point the tail would be an amputation which no good vet will do without medical need as it has a much longer recovery time and is much more painful than a dock. The ears would not stand without implants and would still have a crease. Few if any vets will crop just to put in implants due to the risk of rejection|||Ok as far as the ears are concerned it is way to late it is generally done 14-16 weeks of age. Tail docking can be done at this age but will cause alot of pain it is no longer called docking at this age it is called amputated. The procedure cost alot more than docking. and your dog could end up with a infection or something. I have schnauzer so my dogs are docked and cropped but If i got them at year old they would have stayed the way they came. I wouldn't have subjected them to that at one year old. It is cosmeticsIs it too late to crop my mini pin ears and tail?too late

docking is done by 3-5 days of age.. young puppies feel little to no pain, and also blood clots more quickly during that time frame. It would require surgury to amputate after that, and no ethical vet will put a dog thru the risk of pain, infection and surgury to amputate a healthy tail.

cropping has to be done by 12 weeks of age, before cartilidge hardens and forms. The ears wont stand now. The surgury to crop is not what makes the ears stand.. cropping is cutting off part of the ear flap to make the ear lighter... its then taped or posted to train the ears to stand while the cartilidge forms.|||Too late. Tails are docked and dew claws removed at 3 days old, and ears are cropped from 8-12 weeks.

Add: Aphrodite, I believe you are getting the thumbs down because you changed your answer from 6 months to 4 months, AND for the bleeding thingy. There is ONE larger vein in the ear, (which is not large anyway) and the only way the dog will bleed out is if it is clinically affected with VwD and someone is using a chainsaw. I don't think the TD has anything to do with your opinion of cropping. There is VERY LITTLE blood at all. I should know, I had a litter of 12 pups cropped on my kitchen table.....and no....it was NOT by a butcher. The famous George Rood traveled all over the country/world to do BEAUTIFUL show ears. This litter and other litters he did for me, and thousands of others, were no exception. He did several different breeds including Min Pins. (Although, mine were Dobes)|||It is way too late. If you cropped the ears now they would never stand. The tail is now integrated into the nervous system of the spine, so major surgery and not recommended.

You should have this dog health checked asap. No good breeder leaves a natural tail on a Minpin.|||Yes, it will hurt him. Would it hurt a human 12 month old? Don't cut body parts off of your dog. Why do people find the need to get an animal and then change it into what they want by cutting parts off of it? Bizarre and barbaric if you ask me. If he's adorable in every way, then why not leave him the way he is?|||Far too late. Tail *docking* is done at 2-3 DAYS old, not cruel at all to the pup. Cropping, like Aphrodite said, needs to be done before 4 months/12 weeks.|||its painful whether hes one or a pup...cropping and docking is cosmetics and doesnt make the dog a better pet..
dont put the poor dog through the pain|||yes its too late. docking is done when less than 4 days. and cropping is done when only weeks old.|||why would you crop his ears and tail? what is so bad about having uncropped ears and tail?|||Way too late. And why do you think the ears and tails should be cropped?|||I wouldn't do it. I think cropping is cruel.|||It's BYBd junk......*not* worth the expense. & the ears will NOT stand correctly

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment